Tuesday, August 23, 2011

More Zucchini! More Zucchini Recipes!

Zucchini, just right for sauteing.


It's a single hill of bush-type zucchini and took over the entire row by the end of the season,
and crowded onto the next row, too.  The rows are 6' across.  

This is the first year I've grown zucchini.  It's always so cheap at the farmer's market -- they're nearly giving the stuff away.  The plant looked lovely in the greenhouse this spring and I had an empty row in my garden, so I figured why not.  It's a fairly fuss-free plant without many issues.  Powdery mildew attempted to get a start thanks to the weather and whatever bugs dragged it in on their feet, but we halted that.  It's so simple to grow, I'm saving seeds for next year.

I promised more recipes, and here is another:

Zucchini-Pumpkin-Raisin Quickbread

  • 1/2 c vegetable oil
  • 1 cup sugar (I mix 1/2 cup brown and 1/2 cup white/splenda)
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 cups shredded zucchini
  • 1 cup solid-pack pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 cup raisins 
  1. Mix first 2 ingredients in large bowl.  
  2. Add eggs and vanilla, mix well. 
  3. Add zucchini and pumpkin, mix well.
  4. In a separate bowl, mix remaining dry ingredients.  
  5. Add dry ingredients to large bowl and mix until just combined. 
  6. Stir in raisins. Pour mixture into a single large loaf pan or four small loaf pans.    
  7. Bake at 350 for 1 hour (large loaf pan) or 30 minutes for 4 small loaf pans.  Cool in pans for 15 minutes, then remove to wire rack to cool completely before slicing.  
Remember that extra large zucchini in my last post?  I've only used half of it so far.  
Bake 

2 Comments:

Gill - That British Woman said...

if you ever get stuck for a recipe using zucchini, or fancy a change pop by my blog I have 51 recipes for using zucchini,

Gill

Emmon said...

Wow, this sound REALLY good -- a combination of some healthy ingredients from the garden AND great taste! And it's lunch time!

blogger templates | Make Money Online